Here we are going to look at some of the ways the Lakers can rebuild and look to seriously getting into the playoffs at least by the start of 2018-2019 season.
Rebuilding will take 1 year ( full season).
1. Sign free agents Andrew Wiggins and Seth Curry contracts by 2018.
Andrew Wiggins is regarded as the next Kobe Bryant and he has on several occasions incorporated his shots during games and has shown similar potential to what Kobe Showed when he started for the Lakers. Seth Curry, the brother of Stephen Curry is now slowly but surely making his name known as a stable Shooting Guard in this league. His ability to be a semi point guard and semi shooting guard have helped the Dallas Mavericks come out of the slump they are in right now. If he's even as half as good as his brother that will work just as well too. Both these players will play well together no doubt.
2. Get rid of Jose Calderon and Metta World Peace by the end of this season. They will be replaced by draft picks Jonathan Issac and Jawun Evans.
Jonathan Issac averages 12 PPG at the NCAA level and Jawun Evans averages 17.7 PPG at the NCAA level. Both these Players have high potential to play well for the Lakers.
3. Get rid of Tarik Black and Marcelo Huertas by 2018 and they will be replaced by 2018 draft picks Wendell Carter and Malik Newman.
Wendell Carter averages 21 PPG at his Varsity Team and will be joining college this year and will be available for Draft on at 2018. Moving on to the other guy, Malik Newman has been averaging 11PPG at the NCAA level and will also be eligible for the Draft at 2018.
4. All other contracts ending on 2018, if required should be extended then only for an additional 2 year.
5. Define specific roles for all the new players. Legendary players like Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant and Kareem Abdul Jabaar can be asked to mentor the players for a full season to help them develop their potentials and abilities further on. This can be done as Magic is already an advisor to the team and along with Kobe and Kareem, three of them have expressed their interest in helping the team rebuild. No better legends than those three for sure!
6. Winning comes not only from the players but also from the culture that exists around the organization. Luckily for the Lakers the present culture may not be perfect but they do have a long history of winning as a franchise to bank on. So, in order for any team to do well a culture of loyalty, trust, discipline, professionalism and most of all being able to sacrifice your benefits for the team in general.
All of this will definitely help in putting the Lakers in the right direction.
The final roster for the Start of the 2018-2019 season should look like this.